Sunday 13 May 2012

Ian Pollock (final

Ian Pollock

To be honest Ian Pollock isn't one of my favourite artists I have chosen out of the 4 of them. The reason I chose him eas because his illustrations were somewhat surreal which is what I like to incorperate into my own illustrative style. However, even though I also enjoy working in traditional media, Ian Pollock also does however he used the tools very differently.



This is a pretty comical image & like I said he does have it's surreal aspects. However what I would really like to focus on is the line work. It appears that the artist has used a dip pen & ink for this lineart as the lines are very sketchy, varying from heavy to fine & the lines don't connect. In areas such as underneath the scooter,the ink has blended into the area of shadow which creates a more intense contract.

This line art also suits the method & media of colour of which being water colour. Instead of being clean & previse with the strokes, he has been more expressive. Lashing of colour to produce depth works well however he has still kept the colour within the lines.

 I would take inspiration from this messy style however I think I would slowly die on the inside as I have been aiming to be as clean as possible with my lineart through all my life drawing.

1 comment:

  1. As much as I like his line work as mentioned in the post, I can't be helped by get drawn in by the simplicity of the image. With a similar use of tools Pollock seems to be able to create a completely different image than what I would have done. This is an inspiring work you have chosen to display and is absolutely a style I would study.

    ReplyDelete