Tuesday 28 February 2012

Saul Bass

 Saul Bass was around from 1920-1996, during of which he was not only a well renowned graphic designer but also a big shot in the film industry. One of the most famous films of his was the ever so controversial film The Man with the Golden Arm which was about a heroin addict.



 These are the most famous logos designed by Mr.Bass & even I was shocked that I recognised them! These designs are sleek & professional. It shocks me to realise how old some of these designs really are. Of course these appear to be vector.
File:Shining-kubrik.jpg

 This is a film poster Bass designed & is one of the last few he ever did. You can see that the design is mainly typographical which I feel makes sense for someone who designed logos. Simplicity seems to be a speciality for him. The texture of the face appears grainy as if this was screen printed. Black typography creates a strong contrast from the mustard yellow backgroud which creates a stronger impact on the audience.

 His work isn't really influential on my illustrations so I won't take my research any further however he is an interesting figure in the design industry.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Bass

http://designmuseum.org/design/saul-bass

[All electronically accessed & submitted]

No comments:

Post a Comment